Understanding > Appreciation
Appreciation and Gratefulness can counteract
sadness, grief and feelings of hopelessness.
Sadness and Hopelessness are emotional feelings which cloud
a lot of our decisions, we loose the will to want to get things done. Yet,
those things we do manage to accomplish we do half-heartedly.
It's hard to know how to pull yourself out of feeling this
way, we seem almost content to sit amongst our troubles. We do not have the
will or the effort to want to pull ourselves out of it. Though, it is NOT
Life goes on, you can decide whether you are going
to walk along with your head held high, run along as fast as you can, or be
dragged along (because time waits for no man, and time moves forward
The first simple steps involve a
level of appreciation and gratefulness. So, before your bemoan 'What do
I have to feel grateful about' ...remember...
You have plenty of things in
your life which someone out there does not.
Some in the list below many cause you to feel 'low' if you
do not have these things, others you DO have in your life... This list is for
starters, you should make your own....
- I am grateful that I have use of my eyes to see
- I am grateful that I have use of my hands to touch
- I am grateful that I have use of my nose to smell the flowers, fresh
- I am grateful that I had food to eat
- I am grateful that I had money to pay my way
- I am grateful that my friend rang
- I am grateful that I have friends
- I am grateful that I have family
- I am grateful that I have a son/daughter/partner/brother/sister whom I
- I am grateful that the sun shone
- I am grateful that the rains watered the earth
- I am grateful that the traffic was clear on the way to work
- I am grateful that today I smiled
- I am grateful that today I laughed
- I am grateful that I have a home to live in
- I am grateful that I have light in my room
- I am grateful for my material items - even the ones I rarely use
Every night before you go to bed, think of 5 things that you
are grateful for that happened on that day. If you can pause and truly feel
grateful for one small thing, for a moment you will not be stuck in your
The reason for your sadness does need to be dealt with
eventually, but the most important thing is to know you can pick yourself out
of your sadness - even for a brief moment - by being grateful...
As you become more accustomed to being grateful and
appreciating the things around you, you will also find more and more things to
be grateful for.
- I am really glad that my friend/cousin/aunt emailed me last week to show
me that they are thinking of me.
- I can really appreciate how my daughter/son/niece/nephew views the world
with such innocent eyes
- I am really grateful that I could choose what I ate for my tea tonight
- I am really grateful that my help was appreciated today.
- I can appreciate that I am not alone with my troubles
- I am really grateful that people care enough to listen to my troubles
- I am really grateful that someone understands me enough to want to help
- I am really grateful that I have a car, because...
- I am really grateful that I have a good computer, because...
- I can appreciate why they did that...
- I am grateful that life really isn't as bad as I had thought it was...
There is something you can be grateful for. There are things
you can appreciate. Start with one to five instances and focus on them,
understand why you are grateful for them... When you are feeling a little more
uplifted, you can then move on to understanding WHY you felt down in the first
Holistic Methods to aid
Below are listed some holistic methods to
The following crystals may help to aid appreciation.
- Rose Quartz
- Clear Quartz
Please do not use aromatherapy oils or scents whilst
pregnant, unless being treated by a qualified practitioner.
The following scents may assist in aiding appreciation.
chakra is associated with love and generosity. However the seventh
chakra, The Crown Chakra,
is associated with our connection to spirit. When we feel connected we
find it easier to appreciate everything around us.
Working on both these chakras can aid appreciation.
Meditation is a great way to help re-focus and find balance. Taking
time out to clear your mind will assist in finding more appreciation and
gratitude in your life.
Do as you feel is right,
and if it feels wrong don't do it!.
Please read Terms and Conditions of Use